Monday, 25 August 2014

Mosaic Inspired Nail Art



Hi guys. I've actually gone and done some nail art... Finally!

If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen the picture of the big, shiny buddha I uploaded yesterday. It's one of the pieces at Yorkshire Sculpture Park, and since I'm a magpie who loves anything colourful and sparkly, it was by far my favourite. I decided to do some nail art inspired by the sculpture, since I've never tried a mosaic design before and it's always been something I wanted to have a bash at. I also had some lovely little treats from Effect Beauty that were crying out to be used, so this was the perfect opportunity.

The equipment:

Models Own 'Flip Flop'*
Models Own 'Sun Hat'*
Models Own 'In The Navy'
Models Own 'Gumball'*
Models Own 'Feeling Blue'
Barry M 'Strawberry Ice Cream'
Barry M 'Passion Fruit'
Barry M 'Greenberry'
Kiko Cosmetics 'Irresistible Orchid'*
Kiko Cosmetics 'Suggestive Red'*
Kiko Cosmetics 'Slick Bluenoir'*
Nella Milano 'Turquoise'*
No. 7 'Totally Teal'
Essie 'Good To Go'
Effect Beauty gold foil*
Effect Beauty gold caviar beads*
Fine nail art paint brush

Yep, I used a whole lotta polishes, including the new Kiko Cosmetics releases, Poker Nail Lacquer. It's pretty tricky to do a full review of these polishes since I only used them for certain patches on my nails, but from what I've seen, they dry nice and quick and the colours are all very pigmented. But seriously who named these polishes? (See equipment list!) I actually cringed when I tracked down the titles on the website. I think they need some serious nail naming lessons from the guys at OPI!


Anyway, here's a quick explanation about how I achieved this nail art. I used different sections of my inspiration image for each nail, selecting portions and replicating them as best I could. I painted on the block base colours and once dry I added a sort of mosaic criss-cross on top in a darker shade (for instance, the green bits are 'Flip Flop' with 'Totally Teal' details). I also added patches of gold foil for a bit more sparkle, and once I'd finished all of this, I outlined each coloured section with gold caviar beads.


I absolutely love the beads, they're so cute and shiny and they were surprisingly easy to use - I just used a clean nail art brush and applied from that. I had to moisten it a little bit to pick them up, and managed to swallow about three beads in the process, but since they're so small I doubt there'll be any health implications.

What do you think? Also, if you're anywhere nearby, I really recommend popping over to Yorkshire Sculpture Park - it's so much better than you might expect!




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Little Tip Off | UK Nail Art Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig